Thursday, February 28, 2008

Part 3 : Journey down to 1993 – Of Moron and Brain Dead.

Where is Part 2? I feel like telling this Part 3 of my story is more interesting than telling the Part 2 of my career but I’ll move back to part 2 after I finish with this Part 3 of it.. hehe.. confused? Just be patience. Anyway, I joined this YE[*censored*] company in the early 1993. I remembered those piles of rubbish sat near my new desk. Luckily I didn’t remove them into the dump master as I was told later on that I need to use those “rubbish ” or journals, Cash Vouchers, catering checklists, payment vouchers etc.. as the support documentations to convert their manual accounting reports into an automated system i.e. for short, I need to design and to develop their financial software. Apart from developing their software, I was assigned to manage their network infrastructure as well. If I’m not mistaken, we were one of those early companies in Kuching which adopted an internet as part of our business strategies. Back then, we didn’t have contractors around to help us to set up our network. So, our IT team had to get our hand dirty to get it done. Yeah, I still can’t believe it that I headed that project and I spend most of my time in front of the Novell and NT4 servers and figuring out the 100 base T color coding cables. I still remembered my 1st Novell command, in order to use a network printer we need to type this command in the Dos prompt, i.e. “capture NB NFF TI=1 Q=LQ2550” or in plain English, Capturing with No Banner, No Form Feed, Time Interval=1 seconds, Printer Queue assign to network printer named LQ2550. Yeah that whole stretches of command was later being replaced by NPRINTER icon in the Windows ..hahaha! why bother to memorize! Then, what happen to software development. Yes, we worked on that project in daytime while extended our overtime till midnight to finish the network project but I usually stayed up till 3am (err.. that’s how I met my wife but that’s different story) to ensure that our network project meets the deadline. Then it would be very common for me to come into the office around 7am like a walking zombie holding a cup of dark.. very dark coffee. Anyway, I really had a boring life at that time. I mean, at the age of 23, I should’ve gone out get a life, go somewhere and enjoyed my youth at the fullest, see the big world (*) but NOOO, I wasted in front of the screen watching codes and pulling cables behind the PC. Then, I would spend my whole weekends and public holidays in my office scrolling codes after codes in front of my 14” monitor. Sometimes, I didn’t even sleep at all because my brain just couldn’t stop. I even dream about codes, slowly scrolling down.. one at the time, then when it hits the solution my eyes would automatically open and my hands started to search of the keyboard and I’m still suffering from this nightmares every now and then.
Well, my colleagues were fun to work with. They were very helpful like all software team does I guess. I remembered we’re all like the Brother In Arms.. hehe..Leave no one behind bro!.. Hmm I wonder what are they doing now? Hey Henry J, if you’re reading this do drop me a line larr!! Remember the Maybank Insurance incident heheheLOL very funny!! But some in the other division were such the pain in the ar[*censored*]. Remember the time when we’re always being sabotaged by them and just because they’re up there and they can kick our butt around while they didn’t know nuts about what we’re doing. Even the software installation wizard would scare the hell out of them. Hey, even our 10 years old cousin knows how to click here and there to perform the installation but these people, I’d ran out of idea on how to categorise these people, brain dead? Lazy bum? Rip Van Winkle? Eventually, the famous four always ganged up and tried to divert their responsibilities back to us, the software division. In fact, we would take them as a bunch of court jesters who tried very hard to impress our boss. Yeah unlike us in the software division, doing nothing but playing games all the time. I mean, how lazy can they get and have all the time in the world. We, THE software developers are more worry about designs, optimization, bugs, meeting requirements etc.. but NOoo, these morons didn’t know all that or didn’t want to know.. they wanted everything to be documented and everything should be Plug and Play i.e installation drivers, UNinstallation drivers, delete applications, mouse movements etc. Why should we keep reinventing the wheel? The instructions is in the M-I-C-R-O-S-O-F-T manuals or in the 3rd party devices manual and it is just a matter of reading them, don’t be lazy, we read manuals everyday.. oopss then again, hmm.. they might be brain dead or they wanted to shed their responsibility like hey! program crashed or frozen.. HAH! Blamed it on the Software team .. or HEY why should we listen to you, you MUST listen to us! Or HEY! Look we’re very busy, unlike the software team who always day dreaming in front of their PC. They forgot that we've built something which can be used and sell on the market. Err.. What were they doing by the way apart from pushing others to the limit and expert at finger pointing, and shedding responsibility? Then, we’re the one who always ended up cleaning up their rubbish. Maybe it would be better for them to experience some software development first before making useless comments that wasted programmers time. Y
eah, those who didn’t understand our kind of work, they would think that we’re just a bunch of emotional and lazy generation X geeks. Sayyyyy, come to think of it, what’s the different with my current status? A history is repeating itself? HAHAH ROTFLOL.. I think this is the high time to seriously look at my career in a different angle.
*
* I had a dark side thou like joined my other TEAM mates at Petra Jaya after 2am sometimes for Need 4 Speed adrenalin rushed BUT that was before I met my wife. Best car I ever used in that drag race, Nissan Skyline twin turbo and Mitsubishi Fto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home