Memory Lane - Part 1
Saturday is here again. Sun shines, bright sky and this is going to be a very long weekend for me. Looking through my old files, I have a very vague memory about SynchroSound where I landed my 1st programmer job in the early 90's. Yes, it's related to SynchroSound Studio in KL BUT no matter what those people in the suit says, the company was originally set up in Kuching by my ex-boss Mr Yeo and moved to KL. I know because I was there with their sound
engineers slaving my 1st C language while their engineer stucked infront of their old 24 channel sound mixers 24/7 working on the SEARCH album with their lead singer Amy and composer M.Nasir who occasionally looked over my shoulder and wondered how the heck those tiny little codes on my 12" Atari screen could generate sound. Those days, we didn't have an E-book or online references, heck! there were no such word as 'internet' in Malaysia at that period of time and the only resources available were the shelves of thick manuals and instruction books, and all of them were an English version. The Malay language version of IT books only appear on the market during the early 2000's and I wonder why they even existed! Instead of reading those junks, we might as well go and dive into the 'REAL' stuff from Apress, Microsoft or Wrox. Oh Helen Stphn, if you're still wondering about my exposure to an English news or magazines etc or how often I EXPOSE myself to English reading materials (which I feel a bit insulted by your question), I've been reading tons of I.T material especially networks, programming, designs, hacking, oops.. not forgetting those English version of the computer games and etc.. ever since I started my career in 1998 until now. I think you'll be in for shock if you see our home library in Kuching and I still kept my old MS DOS 3.0 manuals! Oh I forgot, you've never been to Asia before.. hmm bugger me! Why bother trying to convince you ? Let me put it in a simple English, in my career line my brain only focus on codes and design unless I'm a journalist or an English teacher then I will be worried about my grammars, vocab etc.. Heck! What choice do I have ? We don't have a luxury like Japan, France or other countries by having Microsoft or Borland or some software companies to distribute the foreign language version of their products. I think your question should be the other way round, how often I expose myself to Malay reading materials ? My straight answer would be 15%, another 10% for Chinese while the rest is English. Anyway, that's another story. Back to my story about the studio. Yupp, I enjoyed working in the studio ambience but good thing always come to an end as they closed their studio in Kuching and moved to Taman Tun, PJ West M'sia. As for the rest of us, we're laid off and moved on. To be continue..
Note: Oh Majid, if you're reading this, I can assure you that Atari OS is a good replacement for your Microsoft DOS, err that's if we can still find one in the market.. hehe



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home