Malaysian styles, my experiences..
The other day I met one of my Malaysian friend. He’s quite surprised to learn that I’ve been working here for almost 3 years. He’s curious to know whether I'm attached to some companies from Malaysia like Sime Darby, Shell or Malaysia universities and being sent here for exchange or training etc. Well, he’s not the 1st person who has that curiousity in mind and I’m sorry to dissapoint them as my current employer has N-O-T-H-I-N-G to do with Malaysia err for a time being until we got a customer there hehe.. Anyway, I’m glad to have found a good employer and supportive colleagues around me after all the hassle of going through job interviews in the cold winter of London in the late 2005. Come to think of it, the situation is quite similar when we’re in Melbourne last time. I'd several job interviews in the freezing winter in Melbourne before I landed in Intellisol. One thing for sure, working in overseas is very different than taking up an employment in Malaysia especially in the small city like where I come from. The differences between them are the challenges, pressure, knowledge, communication, cultures and ethics, and of course the salary as well. Working in the big cities like in London and Melbourne are very different, I mean VERY VERY DIFFERENT from the preferences environment in Malaysia which is more accommodating to one’s need. Over here one will face open challenges, pressure and competitions regardless of who you’re and where you come from! One only climbs the ladder when one has a proven track record and not by some shortcuts. In the past, I’d witnessed various methods being used by individuals to shortcut their way up to the top and ended up as an empty tin can or an extra baggage. These people will never know the value of knowledge and how experiences were gained. Let me put it more bluntly these people if I recall, were more likely to spill out hollow advices without reflecting themselves. In the first place they used shortcuts and do they REALLY know the meaning of hard work? Well, that’s Malaysia style, knowing someone can go a long way especially with the current situation! Anyway, some may think that I’ve changed over the years but I always tell them I’m still the same person who they knew back in 80’s, a part time dish washer during school breaks with the salary of RM80 per month, a day dreamer, a gadget lover and an anti-social nutcase who spend 24/7 in front of the PC adoring the sound of the CPU fan!



1 Comments:
Deq ya and Taufik,
Good for you. If you are a Malay, Malaysians tend to think that you have to be associated with other Malaysian companies if you are based overseas.
I am one of the few Malaysians contributing to that notion because I am currently based overseas but employed by a Malaysian company.
Keep up the good work and may Allah bless your undertakings.
Isam
By
Isam d'Allee, at 9:17 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home