Wednesday, November 28, 2007

British English.

Recently, a linguistic expert helped me to shed some lights about the origin of English language. After our quick chat, this linguistic expert caught me by surprised by questioning my err.. reading habit or, to be more direct this person brought up a question, ‘Have you read any English newspaper or watch any English news or perhaps read online English news? I mean, how frequent are you expose to English language? Duhh.. I said to myself, What type of question is this? Yeah right, it sounds like as if I’m sort of an ignorance lazy bum who don’t read newspaper, magazine etc and wasted my precious time playing Call of Duty 24/7 and have never exposed to this thing called ‘English Language’. What a discovery!
Anyway, feeling insulted by that question and my curiosity took over and made me stayed and listen to this expert opinion. When I regained my thought again, I calmly answered, ‘Oh I read a lot of books like biography of world leaders, then this Dan Brown – Digital Fortress, Deception Point etc.. with countless of computer books, National Geo blah blah blah. I watched CNN, reading MSNBC online and my country online national news i.e. New Strait Times etc.. In fact, I don’t know why you asked me this question as my exposure to the English language started in my early years in school. It is just that I seldom practice it, besides I’m a programmer not a linguistic like you. We understand codes and don't use a PERFECT English.'
To my surprised, this person replied ‘What! I don’t know what type English they taught you during your early age but you should read only the BRITISH newspaper like The Guardians, Times etc and watch BBC news, BBC online news etc.. You should read the PURE English which is BRITISH English and you shouldn’t have read those rubbish and American or Australian English stuff’. I listened to that blunt comment with my jaw wide opened. Hey! This is something NEW to me. British English is a PURE English? I mean English is English but this person claimed that the BRITISH English is a PURE English. WHAT THE ?? Now I’m very confused. I remember enjoyed reading The Australian and The Age during my years in Melbourne, and New Strait Times or The Star in Malaysia, then all those American English in Microsoft, Intel, AMD products etc.. are all rubbish English as claimed by this person? Wow ! I mean, that ‘rubbish English’ is being used to make billions of dollar? Then how about those cutting edge technology? Gosh! If that is the case I think that will be the con of the century! I'm sure NASA in U.S will be delighted to know that by using the pure British English, their mission into space will be more successful.
What an enlightenment experience for me! in an English language.. hehe.. So, my Malaysian friends, before you step on to the shore of England make sure you understand their language. Remember, the language I‘ve used here isn't a PURE English but it is some sort of rubbish or recycle English.

Here is one good example of this PURE British English, learn well my friends hehe..
Note: Oh yes, just to let all of you know about my English literacy levels, I played the English version of Call Of Duty and not some German or Spanish or Japan version!

2 Comments:

  • It's interesting to read about yr comments. I live in Germany now...It's even worst here. They try to ignore English as if you're speaking rubbish english compared to Deutsch. It's so frusterating living in Germany..how I wish I could live in an English speaking country.

    rgds,
    liza

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:10 AM  

  • We understand your grief. We were there in Berlin last April.
    The frustration of communicating with them(Germans) in English
    was beyond our comprehension. We ended up using sign languages and hand signals. hehe.. But staying in the country which uses English as the first language isn't that rosy either. Sometimes, they tend to show their facial expression like,'Arrgh.. why I have to stand here making my life miserable by listening to this person communicating in the "rubbish" English'.. hehe.. Anyway, I guess it's all about the art of being patience.

    By Blogger Rohaya & Taufik, at 5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home